Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Working it Out

So, tomorrow, Ellie is 8 weeks old. She's getting stronger, fatter, more alert, bigger, etc. She's been holding her head up by herself and likes to sit up supported whenever she can. Yesterday, she focused on on of the toys on her bouncy chair and seemed to be wiggling to make it move. Her 2 month appointment is a week from Friday. I'm kind of dreading it since she's supposed to get a battery of shots.

Today, she and I went to the Y for the first time. I was surprised by the amount of people there at 10:40 in the morning. I got to learn how the childcare section works, sort of. Apparently they have to check you in multiple times when you are dropping off or getting your children. And, when I tried to be proactive about getting Ellie, since the staff was ignoring me, I was scolded for stepping into the childcare area. So, it's weird. I used to feel kind of comfortable at the Y, but it's gotten much more crowded. And the kids! I guess there are a lot more stay at home parents in town than I knew about. And, they are all at the Y on weekday mornings.

Today was my initial Personal Trainer consult. I'd been moaning about how out of shape I was for the last 6 months of my pregnancy, so my darling husband helped engineer a conversation with a personal trainer to get me back in the game. It's been 2 years since I have been to the Y. At least. I've been saying 2 years for a while... The initial consult was interesting. Apparently, I'm not too bad for someone who hasn't done any exercise in years and just had a baby. The short diagnosis is that I need to eat better, make time for myself, get off the couch in our bedroom (which has been our base of operations since Ellie was about a week old), and I need to exercise 3 times a week. The general plan is that I'll go do an hour of strength training with T Monday and Friday and do 30-45 minutes of cardio on my own MWF. Even when I was going to the Y regularly, I didn't push myself too too hard. I broke a sweat, sure, but I let myself get stuck in a rut. This is going to be challenging. The first session is Friday.

Also, P has been out of town since Monday. Day 1 went well. I ran a couple of errands and we stayed on schedule. Yesterday, I wasn't quite so perky since I didn't have anything scheduled until 6 pm. Still, we maintained her schedule. Such as it is. She tends to have her last meal of the night between 8 and 9:30. Then, it's a race to get to pump and then get all the last minute things done and get into bed to maximize sleep time. She's been sleeping for 5 and a half to 7 and a half hours at a stretch and then she wakes slowly with a 5-15 minute feeding followed by an hour or two of nap, another brief feed, and then generally another nap. Late morning seems to be an active time for her. Unless she's in the car, she doesn't sleep as hard.  Thankfully, P comes home tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to some help. My MiL has been on call, and will babysit for a couple hours tonight and again tomorrow. I kind of enjoy the challenge of seeing if I can handle it. Especially since it's only 4 days. It's forced me outside my new comfort zone a little, which is probably a good thing, since it requires me to get off the aforementioned couch. So, I'll just enjoy having her to babysit when I need to go to a meeting or to the dentist. I know she likes spending time with Ellie, and I suspect she likes having her on her own.

Below are some photos P took Sunday when he was on baby duty while I ran to Target for provisions for this week. It's kind of dangerous having food in Target. It's even more dangerous going to Target on an empty stomach now.

No comments:

Post a Comment