Thursday, September 16, 2010

Planning Ahead

I just came home from an estate planning workshop. I feel a bit overwhelmed. When we found out Potus was coming, we did get P signed up for a life insurance policy that should cover the house and any outstanding debts. With me quitting work and having significantly less earning power, I felt it was the smart thing to do. However, apparently that was just the tip of the iceberg. We need to organize our policies, review beneficiaries, make living wills, choose powers of attorney, health representatives, guardian(s), think about trusts, etc. My head is spinning.

With the news released today about the increase in Americans living in poverty, I realize we are extremely fortunate to have to worry about estate planning. I still find it incredible that 1 in 5 children in this country lives in poverty.

Which makes my next topic sound utterly vapid. I just found out today that my feet may get permanently bigger as a result of this and any subsequent pregnancies. I'm beginning to think I'm easing up to a 9 1/2 which is depressing. If I keep going though, I could adopt some of my Mother-in-law's cast off 10s. I've been contemplating shoe purchases because I can't seem to find any comfortable ones in my closet. Flip flops and cheap ballet flats have worked all summer, but it's starting to get a bit colder and that won't work for much longer. However, the shoes I'm looking at are not cheap (because I'm craving comfort) and I don't want to make the investment if they're not going to fit long enough for me to get sufficient wear from them. I've really cut down on maternity clothes purchases also as I've come to realize that much of what I've bought won't work for the duration. I only spent what I did because I thought it would last. Now, the clothes budget is pretty well shot. The forums just say to buy your pre-pregnancy size in clothes. Unfortunately, I took that misconception shopping. I'm glad a friend lent me so much maternity wear to start so I didn't invest in too many pairs of pants. Virtually none of them fit anymore. The shirts are faring better, but they're mostly sleeveless, so I've been layering with cardigans, some of which fit like shrugs now.

In closing, if anyone out there has extra size 8 maternity pants with a 34" inseam or some closed 9 1/2 shoes they're not wearing, drop me a line. I'm running low on presentable work clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment