Saturday, July 24, 2010

Consultation Outcome

So a few of you have asked what happened at the consultation yesterday. Here's the skinny.

We made an appointment for a fifteen minute lunchtime free consultation with Dr. W2 and the midwife. We had to wait for about 10 minutes and ended up running about 45 minutes with the midwife and another 5 or so with the doctor. There is one other doctor with the practice, but everything I've heard about her was positive, so I wasn't too concerned. Dr. W2 was a bit of a mixed bag, so I was curious to see for myself if he was actually a jerk or merely a bit introverted.

I liked the midwife very much. She seemed very candid and honestly helpful. She didn't assume we'd choose them and gave me a lot of useful information about the process, the way they operate and some of their general practices. It sounds like they may differ from a few practices I'm inclined to favor, but I haven't finished my research and they sounded like the general practice philosophy is low intervention and they are open to listening to your views and wishes. Both mentioned that they try to follow the mothers' wishes and will discuss changes with her if they find they need to deviate.

The doctor was quiet but seemed genuinely to care about women and their care. I didn't talk to him for long, but I was encouraged to learn that he was trained osteopathically.

So, I'm going to finish reviewing the literature they gave me this weekend. Chances are I'll give them a call Monday to find out what's involved in switching over. I'm a little concerned about the fees since we've already paid a certain amount to Dr. W. Guess we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment