Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Lasts Before Firsts

Yesterday I woke up with elephant feet. It caused a minor bit of panic when I was trying to get dressed. I tried on three pairs of shoes before finding something that could fit over my foot. At that point, I didn't really care what the shoes were, just that I could leave the house without bare feet. Did I mention it was raining heavily from the newsworthy midwest storms? Once I got to work, I sent a quick SOS to my MIL, who thankfully is one of a handful of people I know who has bigger feet than me. She had a few pairs she thought might work, so I arranged to head over there after my LAST guitar lesson.

The lesson itself was anticlimactic. We ran out of time at the end of the half hour and I got the impression that my teacher doesn't really think I'm coming back. I've told him I'm taking November/December off. He's been at this longer than me, so probably there's precedent for students generally not coming back from a two month break. I certainly haven't been practicing like I ought to.

My next last is my volunteer shift on Saturday. I've also told them I'm taking a couple months. November, to wallow, nest, and rest. December, because I have no idea what's ahead of me and just want to focus on our little family. Plus, the holidays. After that, my next last, is my remaining week and a half of work. As far as I can tell, I'm about on schedule for wrapping things up there. It occurred to me that I should probably start packing things out in small handfuls so I don't end up with a big load next Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment